Saturday, August 9, 2008

Adventures in mowing

Last week I was mowing our front lawn, which I have actually done a few times, and I was just about done when things got a little crazy. I was bagging it and I guess I didn't get the bag on just right, so after a few swipes, it just fell off. Then the little pieces of grass blew back at me, which wouldn't have been a big deal if it wasn't 100 degrees and humid, which made me super sweaty and covered with grass! No big deal. I just put the thing back on and kept going, hoping that none of my neighbors were looking! Then I start to go around the last tree before I do the strip on the other side of the sidewalk then I'm done. As I circle around one of the wheels falls off! No way! So I stop the lawnmower and see if I can just stick it back on. No such luck. The bolt holding it on was broken in two! How did that happen? That kind of thing never happens to James! Since I'm almost done I think I'll just mow with one big wheel in the back. That works for awhile, until I have to empty the bag again. I put the bag back on, correctly, and then try to start it up again, with the pull-string. I primed it first, and then pulled on that string over and over and it just wouldn't start. So, hot, sweaty, and with big blisters on my thumbs, I decide to quit and call Blake's Lawn Service (a 17-yr old in our ward owns his own business). First, I put everything away as I'm fighting back tears of anger and frustration until I get in the shower where I just let it out. (This is where a friend asks, "Did you cuss?" No, that didn't even cross my mind.) Then I call Blake and he sends over a couple of his guys to finish the job. I'm still trying to find a bolt to fix the wheel. Did I mention that the "good" wheel actually isn't? The hot Texas sun made the plastic spokes brittle and they have been broken for some time, which makes it all wobbly! The thing is, the mower is only like 5-6 years old!

3 comments:

Chrispy Critter said...

So good to talk to you today. I hope Curren is ok! We drove through some town called Curren, but I can't remember where it was!

rebecca said...

You're a strong women but hire the lawn service permanently until the house sells. Your experience sounds like my mowing adventures. I mowed the lawn this week after we had been on vacation for two weeks. It took around two hours, I was filthy and sweaty only to not quite be done and have to nurse a baby, yuck! It's one job I could completely do without. When do Emily and Curren start school? Hang in there.

Xela said...

I have to say that I have never mowed the lawn, I think you are an amazing women! You are holding strong at home with the kids and attempting to mow the lawn. Good for you, but I agree have blake do it for the rest of the summer! :)