Thursday, September 11, 2008

Nine Eleven

9-11-01
I was 9 months pregnant with Curren and we were living in Delaware. I went to a chocolate show with Stacy and Erin Engebretsen. (Stacy had a business making truffles!) Since I was just waiting to have my baby she invited me to come. We drove up to Valley Forge, Pennsylvania and were looking forward to sampling lots of delicious chocolates, but when we got to the show everyone was gathered around a tv. We took a quick peek and thought it was a plane crash. We watched for a minute and then started to head up and down the aisles. Then after a while, the vendors started packing up their things and everyone was on their cell phones. We had no idea what was going on until we got back in the car and tried to listen to the radio.

We still couldn't figure out what was happening. Stacy's son called and said all the kids were being released from school! I called James but he said they were staying at work. When I got home I was glued to the tv for the next two weeks.

James and I had just gone up to New York a couple of weeks before to stay with friends and tour Manhattan. We were short on time and decided to see Sears tower instead of the World Trade Center. We had just been in the city and then two weeks later it wasn't the same.

We went back to NYC a few months later and there was a different feeling in the city. We went to Ground Zero and walked around the church across the street where people had posted signs and pictures of loved ones who were missing. It was so sad to look at the faces of all those people who were gone.

Our neighborhood puts flags out in the median of the main road that goes through our development on major holidays, including today. On the way to school this morning and we talked about what happened on this day 7 years ago.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I posted about this on my blog today too! I still can't believe that happened.

I'm sure you thought "we'll see the world trade center NEXT time." Who knew there wouldn't be a next time?

I'm glad you were able to go back. I'd like to see it (NYC & Ground Zero) in person some day. I bet it has a surreal feeling that goes along with being there.

Tia said...

Thanks for sharing and helping us remember!

Melanie said...

i think it's on all our minds today. isn't it amazing how we can recall even the smallest details from that day? and how much the world is different now?